WELCOME, November! This is the month of Thanksgiving, and I thought it might be fun to explore the idea of giving thanks. To begin, here are some of my favorite quotes about thanksgiving/gratitude. I’d like to know which one(s) resonate(s) with you.
1. “Gratitude means thankfulness, counting your blessings, noticing simple pleasures, and acknowledging everything that you receive. It means learning to live your life as if everything were a miracle, and being aware on a continuous basis of how much you’ve been given.” ~ Marelisa Fábrega
2. “Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” ~ Melody Beattie
3. “In the end, though, maybe we must all give up trying to pay back the people in this world who sustain our lives. In the end, maybe it’s wiser to surrender before the miraculous scope of human generosity and to just keep saying thank you, forever and sincerely, for as long as we have voices.” ~ Elizabeth Gilbert
4. “And when I give thanks for the seemingly microscopic, I make a place for God to grow within me.” ~ Ann Voskamp
5. “Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” ~ Epicurus
6. “Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
7. “I see the glass half full and thank God for what I have.” ~ Ana Monnar
8. “Gratitude and love are always multiplied when you give them freely. It is an infinite source of contentment and prosperous energy.” ~ Jim Fargiano
9. “He who thanks but with the lips
Thanks but in part;
The full, the true Thanksgiving
Comes from the heart.”
~ J.A. Shedd
10. “The unthankful heart… discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!” ~ Henry Ward Beecher
11. “It is literally true, as the thankless say, that they have nothing to be thankful for. He who sits by the fire, thankless for the fire, is just as if he had no fire. Nothing is possessed save in appreciation, of which thankfulness is the indispensable ingredient. But a thankful heart hath a continual feast.” ~ W.J. Cameron
12. “To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live gratitude is to touch Heaven.” ~ Johannes A. Gaertner
13. “God has two dwellings; one in heaven, and the other in a meek and thankful heart.” ~ Izaak Walton
14. “Thanksgiving is nothing if not a glad and reverent lifting of the heart to God in honor and praise for His goodness.” ~ Robert Casper Lintner
15. “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” ~ Frederick Keonig
16. “You say, ‘If I had a little more, I should be very satisfied.’ You make a mistake. If you are not content with what you have, you would not be satisfied if it were doubled.” ~ Charles Haddon Spurgeon
17. “Gratitude is a quality similar to electricity: it must be produced and discharged and used up in order to exist at all.” –William Faulkner
18. “Gratitude is the memory of the heart.” ~ Massieu
19. “If you never learned the lesson of thankfulness, begin now. Sum up your mercies; see what provision God has made for your happiness, what opportunities for your usefulness, and what advantages for your success.” ~ Ida S. Taylor
20. “Gratitude is the art of painting an adversity into a lovely picture.” – Kak Sri
21. “Gratitude shifts your focus from what your life lacks to the abundance that is already present.” – Marelisa Fábrega
22. “In the past I always thought of gratitude as a spontaneous response to the awareness of gifts received, but now I realize that gratitude can also be lived as a discipline. The discipline of gratitude is the explicit effort to acknowledge that all I am and all I have is given to me as a gift of love, a gift to be celebrated with joy.” ~ Henri Nouwen
23. “Clearly, one of the major obstacles to our experience of gratitude is the habit we have of sleepwalking through life. The truth is that we are never lacking for blessings in our lives, but we are often lacking in awareness and recognition of them.” ~ Rev. Diane Berke, Ph.D.
24. “In the moments we are awake to the wonder of simply being alive, gratitude flows, no matter our circumstances.” ~ M.J. Ryan
25. “Each day, each season, each cycle offers something of beauty. Let us notice and give thanks.” – Diane Mariechild
26. “The focus of Thanksgiving should be a reflection of how our lives have been made so much more comfortable by the sacrifices of those who have come before us.” ~ Emmons
27. “I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” ~ G.K. Chesterton
28. “I find that the more willing I am to be grateful for the small things in life, the bigger stuff just seems to show up from unexpected sources, and I am constantly looking forward to each day with all the surprises that keep coming my way!” ~ Louise L. Hay
29. “Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation, sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return. Truly appreciate those around you, and you’ll soon find many others around you. Truly appreciate life, and you’ll find that you have more of it.” ~ Ralph Marston
30. “Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don’t unravel.” ~ Author Unknown
31. “Get down on your knees and thank God you’re still on your feet.” ~ Unknown
32. “The most fortunate are those who have a wonderful capacity to appreciate again and again, freshly and naively, the basic goods of life, with awe, pleasure, wonder, and even ecstasy.” – Abraham Maslow
33. An Irish Blessing:
Count your blessings instead of your crosses;
Count your gains instead of your losses.
Count your joys instead of your woes;
Count your friends instead of your foes.
Count your smiles instead of your tears;
Count your courage instead of your fears.
Count your full years instead of your lean;
Count your kind deeds instead of your mean.
Count your health instead of your wealth;
Love your neighbor as much as yourself.
34. “God smiles when we praise and thank Him continually. Few things feel better than receiving heartfelt praise and appreciation from someone else. God loves it, too. An amazing thing happens when we offer praise and thanksgiving to God. When we give God enjoyment, our own hearts are filled with joy.” ~ William Law
35. “Begin with thanking Him for some little thing, and then go on, day by day, adding to your subjects of praise; thus you will find their numbers grow wonderfully; and, in the same proportion, will your subjects of murmuring and complaining diminish, until you see in everything some cause for thanksgiving. If you cannot begin with anything positive, begin with something negative. If your whole lot seems only filled with causes for discontent, at any rate there is some trial that has not been appointed you; and you may thank God for its being withheld from you. It is certain that the more you try to praise, the more you will see how your path and your lying down are beset with mercies, and that the God of love is ever watching to do you good.” ~ Priscilla Maurice
36. “Cultivate a thankful spirit! It will be to thee a perpetual feast. There is, or ought to be, with us no such thing as small mercies; all are great, because the least are undeserved. Indeed a really thankful heart will extract motive for gratitude from everything, making the most even of scanty blessings.” ~ John Ross Macduff
37. “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” ~ William Arthur Ward
38. “When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep?” ~ George Canning
39. “A basic law: the more you practice the art of thankfulness, the more you have to be thankful for.” ~ Norman Vincent Peale
40. “Gratitude is heaven itself.” ~ William Blake
Pick one of these quotes that resonates with you, and write it on a post-it note. Then stick that post it note on your computer monitor, and every time you look at your monitor, let those words be refreshed in your mind. I think that will have a positive affect on how you experience your day.
What do YOU think?