Sam Harris recently told this story:
One day a farmer’s donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do. Finally, he decided the animal was old, and the well needed to be covered up anyway; it just wasn’t worth it to retrieve the donkey.
He invited all his neighbors to come over and help him. They all grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly. Then, to everyone’s amazement he quieted down.
A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the well. He was astonished at what he saw. With each shovel of dirt that hit his back, the donkey was doing something amazing. He would shake it off and take a step up.
As the farmer’s neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up. Pretty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and happily trotted off!
MORAL : Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. The trick to getting out of the well is to shake it off and take a step up. Each of our troubles is a steppingstone. We can get out of the deepest wells just by not stopping, never giving up! Shake it off and take a step up.
There. That will be in your head for the rest of the day! — oj
Remember the five simple rules to be happy:
1. Free your heart from hatred – Forgive. “Resentment is like drinking poison, hoping it will kill your enemies.” ~ Nelson Mandela
2. Free your mind from worries – Most never happen. “Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success. Always be on the lookout for ways to turn a problem into an opportunity for success. Always be on the lookout for ways to nurture your dream.” ~ Lao Tzu
3. Live simply and appreciate what you have. “As you learn to appreciate life, you become more valuable to yourself and others.” ~ Sara Paddison
4. Give more. “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” ~ Sir Winston Churchill
5. Expect less from others and more from yourself. “To get more out of yourself, you have to expect more out of yourself. Before your body can achieve it, your mind has to perceive it.” ~ Ricky Williams
What can you “shake off” today that might allow you to “step up”?
What do YOU think?